Dragonsbrethren Industries Archive
December 11, 2017, 08:04:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Remember, this is just an archive of the Dbi Forum.

Index   Return to Slick Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
  Print  
Author Topic: NFL season (week 9)  (Read 20631 times)
Lenophis

Email
« Reply #105 on: November 04, 2007, 04:35:52 PM »

Eek! WTF!? Whoa!

Well, my Chargers @ Vikings pick was an absolute wrong call, but this game was absolutely amazing. First the Chargers returned a field goal attempt by the Vikings for 109 yards...to end the first half. It looked as though the Vikings were going to go up 10-7, instead they're down 14-7. "Here we go again."

But for whatever reason, the Vikings wound up doing to the Chargers what I thought the Chargers were going to do to the Vikings. It was absolute madness, and watching him run was magical. Whoa! To top it off, he sets the new single game rushing record (breaks Jamal Lewis' record by 1 yard set 4 years ago), 296 yards...on the second to last play of the game.

This was not supposed to happen against the Chargers.

Oh yeah, the Patriots/Colts game is on. OMG!
Deathlike2

Email
« Reply #106 on: November 04, 2007, 07:51:00 PM »

Eek! WTF!? Whoa!

Well, my Chargers @ Vikings pick was an absolute wrong call, but this game was absolutely amazing. First the Chargers returned a field goal attempt by the Vikings for 109 yards...to end the first half. It looked as though the Vikings were going to go up 10-7, instead they're down 14-7. "Here we go again."

But for whatever reason, the Vikings wound up doing to the Chargers what I thought the Chargers were going to do to the Vikings. It was absolute madness, and watching him run was magical. Whoa! To top it off, he sets the new single game rushing record (breaks Jamal Lewis' record by 1 yard set 4 years ago), 296 yards...on the second to last play of the game.

This was not supposed to happen against the Chargers.

You know, I didn't make the pick out of spite, but I didn't expect the Vikings pass defense playing out of the minds. However, the poor coaching of Norv Turner was probably the biggest culprit. Still, I loved the game. I was rooting for the Vikings at some point where I saw Adrian Peterson destroying the (overrated) Chargers (run defense specifically) and setting a new record. It was a clinic, to say the least. LT looked like crap (coaching mostly at fault) and the Vikings had Rivers pressured like  WTF!?

Oh yeah, the Patriots/Colts game is on. OMG!

Game of the year! The drama was worth all the hype.

I had a damn good week I think.
Deathlike2

Email
« Reply #107 on: November 04, 2007, 08:00:24 PM »

Before going into Week 9 SNF:
Lenophis: 11-1
JCE: 6-6
Myself: 11-1

I just realized I made the same picks as Lenophis.  Tongue WTF!? Happy

We all made the same picks for SNF+MNF (Cowboys+Steelers).
JCE3000GT

Email
« Reply #108 on: November 05, 2007, 12:22:11 AM »

I didn't do so well this week.  But at least the Cowboys (predictably) wiped the floor with the Eagles.  Too bad I predicted a close game. 
Deathlike2

Email
« Reply #109 on: November 06, 2007, 10:52:29 AM »

Number in parenthesis is the week #

Lenophis: 8-7 (2), 8-8 (3), 5-9 (4), 9-5 (5), 8-5 (6), 6-8 (7), 10-3 (8), 13-1 (9)
JCE: 7-7 (4), 7-7 (5), 6-7 (6), 10-4 (7), 7-5 (8), 8-6 (9)
assassin: 11-3 (5), 4-9 (6)
Myself: 8-7 (2), 10-6 (3), 5-9 (4), 13-1 (5), 9-4 (6), 10-4 (7), 10-3 (8), 13-1 (9)

Note: I did not factor in JCE's Cowboys pick in Week 3.

Stats overall (after Week 9 MNF):

Lenophis: 67-46
JCE: 45-36
assassin: 15-12
Myself: 78-35
JCE3000GT

Email
« Reply #110 on: November 06, 2007, 05:40:34 PM »

I can't believe you guys went 13-1 this week...that's insane.
Deathlike2

Email
« Reply #111 on: November 06, 2007, 06:38:25 PM »

I can't believe you guys went 13-1 this week...that's insane.

There is some luck involved with this, then again, most of the teams are really predictable.

The only less obvious events include the Adrian Peterson "why I am rookie of the year" game, and Cutler being injured in the Broncos-Lions game (then again, he wasn't very effective this year).

Currently, the weakest divisions are in the West (the NFC West is worse, the AFC West have the Chargers which are the most talented but poorly coached team).

The AFC South is probably still the strongest, potentially having both Wild Card berths going to the other two teams (Titans+Jags).
JCE3000GT

Email
« Reply #112 on: November 06, 2007, 09:06:22 PM »

Alot of the games were surprises for me...
Deathlike2

Email
« Reply #113 on: November 06, 2007, 10:09:04 PM »

Which ones are you talking of? Most of them I gave pretty good assessment of for why the team would win (except this week's Colts-Pats game, but that's the fan in me).
JCE3000GT

Email
« Reply #114 on: November 06, 2007, 10:52:52 PM »

Which ones are you talking of? Most of them I gave pretty good assessment of for why the team would win (except this week's Colts-Pats game, but that's the fan in me).

Broncos @ Lions
49'ers @ Falcons <-- I was pretty clear that SF was going to win
Bengals @ Bills <-- Again, I was certain the Bungles were going to win
Panthers @ Titans
Packers @ Chiefs
Chargers @ Vikings <-- Also, I was certain about this pick by picking the Chargers
Jaguars @ Saints
Redskins @ Jets
Cardinals @ Buccaneers
Seahawks @ Browns <-- And this one was going to be an easy pick when I picked the Birds...or so I thought
Patriots @ Colts
Texans @ Raiders
Cowboys @ Eagles
Ravens @ Steelers
Lenophis

Email
« Reply #115 on: November 06, 2007, 11:17:31 PM »

Chargers @ Vikings <-- Also, I was certain about this pick by picking the Chargers
All of us were certain about the Chargers laying a beat down on the Vikings, and all of us got our asses kicked. No matter how certain we are, in the end we are just guessing.
Deathlike2

Email
« Reply #116 on: November 07, 2007, 04:21:39 AM »

49'ers @ Falcons <-- I was pretty clear that SF was going to win

Well, I mentioned about the 49ers offense.. and if you look at the games, they tend not to score very much offensively. The Falcons have some talent (minus Vick) in Alge Crumpler and Warwick Dunn (Dunn is having an off year probably because of Vick's absence).

Bengals @ Bills <-- Again, I was certain the Bungles were going to win

When you originally consider the Bengals, they had a good offense, but that was inconsistant at best.. their defense is the bigger letdown, but that's been their track record. Given how their offense is simply not compensating for their defense (last year's final game loss to the Steelers to not get in the playoffs is one indication)... they are piling up losses like crazy. I mean, noone saw that Derek Anderson game  coming (Bengals-Browns), but it did happen, so you can't quite call this an abberation when this trend was actually continuing throughout their season.

The Bills on the other hand aren't giving up... if you don't recall their Cowboys game.. get familiar with that. They haven't given up, even after losing lots of starters on defense.

Only the coaching of Norv Turner is the failure to this game. Sure this was "luck" for some people, but seeing how the Chargers offense was completely ineffective the first two games of their season (Pats+Bears), you could see how they could struggle against the Vikings. What idiot would continue to run LT against the best run defense in the game (especially if you were fortunate to watch this entertaining game like I did). It is worth pointing out that LT's success usually defines how the game goes.. and the Rivers hasn't been that great on offense is in turn probably a symptom of poor coaching by Norv Turner and/or just regression of LT hiding said deficiencies of Rivers.

Seahawks @ Browns <-- And this one was going to be an easy pick when I picked the Birds...or so I thought

When I've seen clips of the Seahawks losses, they are a symptom of two things. Their receiving core has been injured, which is affecting Hasslebeck's offense a bit... on the other hand, Shaun Alexander has been a shell of himself for a long while since his record setting TD season. Alexander's lack of production to the run game is a symptom of so many key losses to the Seahawks which include Minnesota getting Steve Hutchison in free agency (see Vikings run game actually kick ass with Peterson), the retirement of Matt Strong (I think that's his name), and a semi-weak offensive line. This isn't just a "trend" that started this year.. it started back when the Seahawks post-Super Bowl loss against the Steelers (which I was rooting to win the Super Bowl that year).. the Seahawks are currently just leading the crappy NFC West (as if the NFC didn't already take a beating by me) so it isn't just coincidence how I came to that "upset" decision.

The Browns are pretty average, but they aren't incompetant in either side of the ball... the Seahawks are very inconsistant on both sides of the ball.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 10:19:07 PM by Deathlike2 » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
  Print  

Jump to: